I've never been a big fan of Flash, given that that's what dominates the web design animation spectrum.
With Google's Visualization Geomap API you can get the nice map interface that you've seen in Google Analytics.
But the Maps API is lighter and you can move it around & zoom using the mouse.
Limitations with Visualization API :
- A maximum of 400 entries (markers)
- Much slower if the data format is an address instead of a Latitude/Longitude pair
- If you are targetting India, Maps is the better way to go as the Visualization API has cut off a major portion of the J&K !
Limitations with Google Maps :
- Geocoder has a limit of 2500 requests per day, and looks about like 10 requests at a time.
- Need to center the map and adjust zoom level manually to show withing the bounding div. Visualization API does this automatically by specifying region:'IN'
In both cases, storing Latitude/Longitude pairs offline and then geo-locating the same renders a whole lot faster.
|Saturday, June 12, 2010